5 Useful Commands for Your Dog to Know and Why
Here is another article from guest blogger Hannah Croscutt, enjoy!
I often get asked what basic commands I think every dog should know and why. It’s not that some commands are necessarily better than others, but if I had to pick six commands that I find to be particularly useful, I would recommend these:
- “Sit”- Sit can be an amazingly useful tool. If you’re walking/running down the side walk and need to stop for a car coming through an intersection, teaching your dog to sit when you stop your feet is crucial. Another handy use of sit is to ask your dog to sit when they are being groomed or petted, to help keep your dog within reach.
- “Stay”- Stay can be an effective command when you need your dog to wait while you get your purse/things to together before you go to the vet or pet store together. It’s so nice to be able to “park” your dog while you get what you need to done.
- “Come”- This is one of the most practical, useful commands you can teach your dog. It helps to be able to use this command if your dog gets loose and you weren’t able to get your hands on them in time. It saves having to potentially chase your dog around the block before you catch them.
- “Leave it”- Let’s say you’re clumsy (like me) and drop a piece of pizza. Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to say “leave it” and your dog not have it gobbled up by the time you reach down to get it? (Yes, I’m assuming you follow the “ten second rule” here).
- “Heel” or learning to walk beside you, not in front of you- It’s also very frustrating to get dragged on walks, especially if you have a big dog, and if you teach your dog to walk properly, your walks will be more enjoyable. Thus, you’ll want to go on more walks with your dog. It’s a win-win!
These are just a few of the many commands you can teach your dog, and not only does teaching your dog these things make life a little easier, but it also strengthens your bond. Please let me know if you have any commands you favor and why in the comments below! Thanks for reading!
About the author: Hannah Croscutt is a dog lover from Atlanta, Ga. She enjoys learning all about dogs from her furry buddy, Piper. She blogs at http://thefurryteacher.wordpress.com.
Do you need help training your dog? We can help. If you are in Nashville, TN, Chattanooga, TN, Clarksville, TN, Knoxville, TN, Huntsville, AL, or Indianapolis, IN visit us at and give us a call.
Please remember we can help you with dog training or problem solving no matter where you are located. In fact we have clients all over the U.S. simply visit for more information and then give us a call.
Until next time,
P.S. Do you need some advice from a Canine Behavior Specialist? If so CLICK HERE now!