Get Healthy With Your Dogs Help
You’re probably asking how can my dog help make me healthy. Simply put he can get you off the couch and outside for a long walk or an afternoon of throwing a ball or a toy for retrieval games.
I think that everybody knows that it is a proven well documented fact that people who own dogs live longer. That isn’t just because you own a dog it is because it gives you something to care for and be active with.
In fact another well documented fact is that people with dogs have better mental health as well. Of course I think we have all known at least 1 wacko in our lives that had a dog so there are exceptions to that rule.
So let’s talk about some things you can do to get healthier with your dog.
- Go for a daily walk. Walking 10,000 steps a day will go a long way to keeping you healthy. A one hour walk will give me 5500 to 6000 steps so I am well on the way to the 10,000 steps that I have for a daily goal.
- Get involved in some type of dog sport. If loosing weight is a goal of yours then you may want to consider agility training. Agility training involves all types of jumps and obstacles for your dog. You are running along with your dog and getting some great exercise.
- If you feel that your dog may have what it takes to be a search and rescue dog you may want to consider joining a local SAR group. Your dog may be used for detection work as a cadaver dog or possibly for tracking a lost child. Getting involved with an SAR group will get you up and moving for the training as well as any real emergency situation.
- Get involved with A.K.C. obedience trials with your dog if you both enjoy doing obedience. There are literally dog shows all over the country each and every week-end.
- A.K.C. also now offers tracking competition. So if obedience is not your dog’s thing but it has a good nose then tracking just may be what you both need.
As you can see there are a bunch of different things you can do with your dog to get you healthier and to keep you that way. A dog can make you happier and one thing to remember is that a nice dog can be a great way to meet the opposite sex. That’s right your next partner may just be that person that approaches and asks about your dog. Good luck!
Do some training, that will help you and your dog? Visit us at Canine Behavior Specialists and give us a call, or for our out of town readers .
Until next time,
P.S. Do you need some advice from a Canine Behavior Specialist? If so CLICK HERE now!
About the Author: Wayne Booth is owner of Canine Behavior Specialists in Nashville, TN. Wayne has been teaching people how to become Professional Dog Trainers since 1990 and he is the Training Director ofCanine Behavior Specialists Network.